Building of the Supreme Court
Originally, the Czech Supreme Court shared the Judicial Palace building on Roosevelt Street with the Provincial High Court, the Provincial Civil Court, the District City Civil Court of Brno and the District Country Civil Court of Brno. As this arrangement proved to be inadequate to ensure the Court's smooth operation, the Supreme Court looked for a more suitable location in the mid 1920s. At the beginning of 1931, a decision was made designating the Akademické náměstí (Academics Square) as the location of the Supreme Court , either below the Czech Technical University or at the head of the square, along what is presently Šumavská Street. A protracted dispute concerning the building site was resolved by the Ministry of Justice by significantly expanding the building program; nonetheless, the dispute between interested institutions, and above all the economic and political situation in the late 1930s, resulted in the abandonment of plans for the construction of a new Supreme Court building.
The Supreme Court returned to Brno in 1993, and the former General Pension Institute building on Burešova Street was selected to become its seat. This building was constructed on the site of the former Brandt Factory according to a design by Emil Králík, professor of the Czech Technical University, Brno. On 20 September 1932 administrative offices were opened in the building. After WW II, several institutions took turns occupying the building. In the 1960s, the Regional Committee of the Communist Party moved in. To meet its needs, in 1986 the Regional Committee added on to the building a crass attic designed by M. Steinhauser, which considerably altered the appearance of the structure. At the same time, a wing comprising a tiered assembly hall was added to the courtyard. In the early 1990's, the office of the Rector and Institute for Computing Technology of the Masaryk University moved in for a short period of time. Finally, on 10 September 1993, the building, which is listed in the state record of cultural monuments, was ceremonially handed over to the use of the Czech Supreme Court.